Swiss Confederation welcomes applications for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships available to Foreign Scholars and Artists for the 2021/22 academic session.
Every year, the Swiss Confederation grants the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships to promote global exchange and research collaboration between Switzerland and more than 180 other nations. Beneficiaries are chosen by the awarding body, the Federal Commission for Scholarships for International Students (FCS).
The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are aimed at upcoming researchers from overseas who have finished a master’s degree program or PhD and at international artists holding a bachelor’s degree program.
Keep in mind that professors at Swiss academic institutions get a lot of email requests to work as research supervisors for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships beneficiaries. Your meticulous preparation and your aimed approach once you have concluded your enquiries will increase your chances of getting a professor’s interest and possibly of getting a positive answer. The following details may be of use before you decide how to get in touch with a potential academic supervisor.
As a candidate, you are responsible for securing a suitable research supervisor (professor). Neither the office of the Federal Commission for Scholarships nor the international office at the schools can assist you to secure an academic supervisor for your application for a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship award.
Types of scholarship
- The research scholarship award is obtainable to post-graduate researchers in any field (who hold a master’s degree qualification as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to engage in research or advanced studies at PhD or post-doctoral level. Research scholarship awards are granted for research or study at all universities of applied sciences, Swiss cantonal universities, the two federal institutes of technology, and also the four research institutes. Only applicants nominated by an academic supervisor at one of these higher education institutions will be given consideration.
- Art scholarship awards are available to art students looking to pursue an initial master’s degree program in Switzerland. Art scholarship awards are granted for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship award is obtainable to candidates from a limited number of nations only.
Worth of Award
- The scholarship award sums up to a monthly payment of CHF 1,920.
- For non-EU and non-EFTA beneficiaries only: the FCS pays compulsory Swiss health insurance.
- There are no family stipends.
- Scholarship award recipients from non-EU and non-EFTA nations obtain a flight stipend (lump sum) for a ticket back to their nation of origin (provided at the end of the scholarship award).
- Special CHF 300 accommodation stipend (paid once at the start of the scholarship award).
- One-year half-fare public transportation card.
- Support services and various tours, dinners and sightseeing trips arranged for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship recipients.
Eligibility for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
The FCS assesses scholarship award applications based on three criteria:
- Candidate profile
- Value of the research project or artistic work
- Collaborations and prospect for future research cooperation
How to Apply for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
- Apply online through their website, use the link below.
- Applications are bound by preliminary selection by the appropriate national agencies and/or the Swiss diplomatic representation. The applications that are shortlisted are then evaluated by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), which makes the last decision.
The State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation publishes this warning concerning false publicities for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships forwarded by email or on social media. Scammers are offering false scholarship awards in an attempt to get their victims to send money (e.g. by maintaining that this money is needed for visa or other expenses).
The Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students FCS advises that members of the public do not pay attention to these fraudulent offers and above all do not send any money. The application procedure for a Swiss excellence government scholarship award is without charge.
Check the application closing dates and the various types of scholarship award on offer. These vary according to nation. You will also find information of what to do next and where to get additional details.